Friday, August 13, 2010

Onward and Forward


Between the Past and the Future  48x48  mixed media

When I was a kid I used to get so excited about "Back to School".  New book bag, new shoes, fresh school supplies...it was like Christmas. Once there, the excitement lasted about two days - maybe a week.  Now, from a teacher's perspective it is more like: "Where the heck did my summer go?"  I did manage to get alot accomplished this summer...and dealt with some of the pressing things that needed to be taken care of.  But alas, Summer is over ( except for this stifling southern heat ) and back to school it is.  My new-school-years resolution is to NOT stress....wish me luck on that one.  But seriously, I am officially taking my chill pill.  Kids are kids - and it's my job to deal with them.  I want to have fun this year - last year was not so fun ( likely my fault) - in my defense...it was a bit of a rough year.  But that was last year.  My new frame of mind comes from working on letting go of the things I can't change.  I can only do what I can do.  I can't change what I can't change.  My summer reading included: The 5 Things You Can't Change: And the Happiness We Find by Embracing Them   by ~ David Richo.  (GREAT BOOK)  I have tried to hammer this philosophy into my brain - "just let it go....just let it go".   I just hope it sticks when I'm facing down a noisy 3rd grader.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you ever read 'Don't sweat the small stuff'? I love some of the ideas in that book.
I'm a librarian who manages staff; my staff know that "if no one's dead at the end of the day, anything else is fixable". It means we work calm and happy, they never try to cover up mistakes from me.
By knowing about mistakes I can continuously up-skill them. Consequently I have fabulous staff who give amazing service.
That does not mean I don't have days when I need a chill pill myself LOL